my table won't let me double
Play backgammon tournaments online
It's now:   Mar 28, 9:14pm EST

my table won't let me double
Posted by jessica959 (VIP) 20 Jun 2021 8:21am

box saying no double is not checked

When doubling is allowed or disallowed
Posted by webmaster (moderator) 20 Jun 2021 11:10am

Backgammon here is played for an agreed stake (number of points) per match. Doubling makes sense only if the match involves more than 1 point (in a multi-point match).
Each game within a match starts at one point. During the course of the multi-point match, any player may propose doubling of the stakes (points). Doubling is only possible at the start of own turn and before rolling the dice.

A player who is offered a double is allowed to refuse, in which case that player concedes the current game within a match and lose the current number of points. Otherwise, that player must accept the double and keep playing for doubled stakes/points. A player who accepts a double becomes the owner of the cube and only the owner of the cube may make the next double.

Subsequent doubles in the same game are called redoubles. If a player refuses a redouble, that player loses the number of points that were at stake prior to the redouble. Otherwise, accepting the redouble makes that player the new owner of the cube and the current game within a multi-point match continues at twice the previous stakes/points.
There is no limit to the number of redoubles in a game.

To allow yourself the opportunity to double even when no legal moves are available, select the preference option called 'No auto-rolls'. This will have to be done at least 1 move prior to doubling. Using this option will result in confirming all moves -- even those where no legal moves are available.

Doubling Cube FAQ

Question #1
2pt Match, if I'm losing the game (and the cube has not been doubled) and my opponent offers to double the cube and I refuse, do I lose the entire Match or is there another game or games played till the point equals 2?

Answer #1 When you refuse the double here, you are only losing 1 point - same match continues [with the start of a game] with the score 1-0 in favor of your opponent

Question #2
How do points and cube relate to each other?

Answer #2 Cube is NOT analogous to points.
When cube is set to any value [other than initial 64], this value is only meant to multiply OTHER normal gained game points.
Without the cube, the game within the match can earn 1 point [normal], 2 points [win with gammon] and 3 points [win with backgammon]
If the cube was set to 2 during the above game:
* normal [1 point] win in the game will be worth 2 points
* gammon win [normally 2 points] will be worth 4 points
* backgammon win [normally 3 points] will be worth 6 points

Crawford Rule

If a player comes within 1 point of a multi-point match, the next game is a 'Crawford round' and doubling is disallowed for this subsequent game only. The Crawford rule seeks to avoid giving the losing side an unfair advantage of doubling with no risk involved.

Clarification of Crawford Rule:
When one of the opponents is within 1 pt of winning the match, the answer to the question whether the doubling is allowed or not allowed depends on whether the 'Crawford round' game was played or not.
If a player comes within 1 point of a match, the next game is a 'Crawford round' and doubling is disallowed for THIS ONE subsequent game only.
During the Crawford round, NO doubling is allowed. After the losing side wins that Crawford round game, doubling is again allowed even if the winner is within 1 pt of winning the match.

Bookmark and Share    ...and Earn Free Tickets!
Play backgammon tournaments online

At GameColony.com you can play games of skill only -- play for free or play for $prizes!. According to the statutes of most states in the United States, gambling is defined as: "risking something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance". (Also see No Gambling!).   The skill (as opposed to chance) is predominant in games of skill. Playing games of skill for $prizes, therefore, has nothing to do with gambling as it is not a contest of chance -- the more skillful player will win far more often. The chance element of a 'gamble' is either insignificant or missing. When players compete in tournaments or games of skill for $prizes -- it is "competitive entertainment" rather then "gambling". The more skilled winner will always win more matches, tournaments and $prizes.
Affiliate Program

Copyright © 2024

Site map