Main Forum | Post Reply
Ratings
Play cribbage tournaments online
It's now:   Apr 18, 10:23pm EST

Ratings
Posted by gjamies1 (VIP) 24 Oct 2022 7:39am

I know this has been discussed at length, but I feel the time must come for change if it is possible. I just played 2 games, won one and lost one and my rating dropped by 17 points. It does seem daft to loose points when you effectively draw, surely the rating points should remain the same as when you started, needless to say, my opponents ratings increased, strange!!!!

OMG
Posted by ImDerc (VIP) 26 Oct 2022 1:49pm

Why do you think ratings matter pajamas?
It's very sad if such an experienced player as yourself has to clutch on to straws in order seek a lame pat on the back that ratings provide.
Who cares about ratings? You obviously!

OMG
Posted by gjamies1 (VIP) 27 Oct 2022 8:19am

Well dimmer derc try playing those players with a higher rating than you, no chance, no straw clutching at all, the same system was used on the site operated by MSN and look what happened to that site. I would hate to see this site go the same way, and by the way, no pat on the back with this style of rating system

Rating system
Posted by MAB (moderator) 28 Oct 2022 9:40am

Rating Issues
The rating system follows the published official formulas of USF (United States Federation) ELO calculation. If there is a significant difference in ratings, and the higher rated person wins, ratings may not change at all. New players start with the rating of 1400. There is a special formula for the first 20 games for provisional rating calculation. Provisional players can ramp up their rating faster. If you win against a provisional player, you may not see any increase in rating.

MAB
Posted by gjamies1 (VIP) 29 Oct 2022 6:54am

Thanks for explaining the system, but surely ELO calculations are designed for chess not cribbage. I could be better if say the rating were changed to percentage wins. That would also help new players and the lesser number of games played the greater the percentage shift after a win or loss. The problem, as I have said earlier, is the higher rating players, especially those over 2000 will not play lower rated players. You therefore end up with 3 tiers of players, Tx players, those over 2000 and the rest. If a straight percentage were adopted it would not matter if you were in either camp as the more games played a win or loss would make little difference over say 1000 games played.

Bookmark and Share    ...and Earn Free Tickets!
Play cribbage tournaments online

At GameColony.com you can play games of skill only -- play for free or play for $prizes!. According to the statutes of most states in the United States, gambling is defined as: "risking something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance". (Also see No Gambling!).   The skill (as opposed to chance) is predominant in games of skill. Playing games of skill for $prizes, therefore, has nothing to do with gambling as it is not a contest of chance -- the more skillful player will win far more often. The chance element of a 'gamble' is either insignificant or missing. When players compete in tournaments or games of skill for $prizes -- it is "competitive entertainment" rather then "gambling". The more skilled winner will always win more matches, tournaments and $prizes.
Affiliate Program

Copyright © 2024

Site map