Main Forum | Post Reply
Personal
Play cribbage tournaments online
It's now:   Mar 29, 11:40am EST

Personal
Posted by Philo78 (VIP) 2 Jun 2022 2:03pm

I never played for ratings, only for tix. I guess I can understand people that play for no tix. They’re playing for the love of the game, winning percentage, and I guess possibly rating. They will have to wait around waiting for someone with a similar rating because if they don’t and lose to someone with a vastly lower rating their rating will get crushed quickly. To me a 2500 rating and a cup of coffee will only get you a cup of coffee.

yo typerer goodish engrish
Posted by ImDerc (VIP) 14 Jun 2022 11:33am

Can you do me a favour Philo? Please read your post & then try to make your point clearer than the muddy puddle that was your OP.
Is someone with a rating of 2500 waiting for a player with a similar rating any different to you setting a cash table & waiting for someone willing to gamble the amount you are willing to wager?
You " guess" you can understand why people play for no tix?? I don't think so.
I like playing for cash too, but haven't & will never stoop as low as playing solely for tix. Some of the most enjoyable games occur when I set a table & invite whoever wants to play, regardless of their record, ranking, rating or financial status.
Maybe you should try that occasionally & you will hopefully remember why you started playing the game in the first place.
My "guess" is you did so because you enjoyed the game & somewhere along the line greed got the better of you & that's why you now only play for tix.

Playing for Ratings
Posted by iPeg 20 Jun 2022 12:23pm

I understand Philo regarding playing for ratings being of little value, and very tedious for the highest rated players. The rating system is based upon the ELO system, which works great for chess, but not as well for cribbage, because of the large random component (luck factor as some players call it). ELO is intended for strictly skill based competition. In order for players to reach high ratings on this site, they must consistently play opponents with very similar ratings. At the highest levels, players can spend much more time waiting for suitable opponents than time spent actually playing. It is more of an exercise in who you play vs how you play. Many of the top players are barely above 50 percent winning percentage and would likely get crushed by philo and other top ticket players over the long term. Playing for ratings is just fine and a worthy challenge for some players, but it would be a flawed assumption that the highest rated is the best cribbage player on the site.

Tickets
Posted by ccws63 31 Jul 2022 3:57pm

Some of us can’t buy tickets. Illegal in the state

Playing for Tickets
Posted by CribsterCO (VIP) 1 Aug 2022 5:14pm

Let people do what they want as long as cribbage expands.

CribsterCO
Posted by gjamies1 (VIP) 2 Aug 2022 10:10am

Problem is, if players will not play them because they have higher ratings, they will leave the site. The end result, no site! The "cribbage" as you say will then not expand. It is already dying in the UK and is looked on as an old mans game, indeed, when I joined my last team I was considered the youth element at 67 lol

Ratings
Posted by CribsterCO (VIP) 21 Nov 2022 1:37pm

I don't think people avoid others due to ratings. I know I don't. I do take into account win loss record of my potential opponent and the number of tickets at the game. You are right about cribbage. It is frustrating that youth don't play live games as much.

Bookmark and Share    ...and Earn Free Tickets!
Play cribbage tournaments online

At GameColony.com you can play games of skill only -- play for free or play for $prizes!. According to the statutes of most states in the United States, gambling is defined as: "risking something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance". (Also see No Gambling!).   The skill (as opposed to chance) is predominant in games of skill. Playing games of skill for $prizes, therefore, has nothing to do with gambling as it is not a contest of chance -- the more skillful player will win far more often. The chance element of a 'gamble' is either insignificant or missing. When players compete in tournaments or games of skill for $prizes -- it is "competitive entertainment" rather then "gambling". The more skilled winner will always win more matches, tournaments and $prizes.
Affiliate Program

Copyright © 2024

Site map