Main Forum | Post Reply
BG platforms for iOS/OS
Play backgammon tournaments online
It's now:   Mar 29, 1:17am EST

BG platforms for iOS/OS
Posted by remy (VIP) 4 Jan 2018 2:38pm

I have an iPhone and a MacBook that I play on. I have tried all the platforms, I am wondering which iOS platform people like best? They all seem kind of sluggish to me. The java platform on my MacBook doesn't seem to have an undo button, or if there is one I can't find it. So on my laptop I tend to use the blue platform, but its still kind of slow. Any recommendations? And is there anything in the works for a MacBook app?

The app on my iPhone is far better, and is my favorite to use. It is fast and easy. I would love to have something like this on my MacBook.

A bit of feedback though, the only thing I can't seem to do on my iPhone, is figure out how to chat with a TD during a tournament game. I can't access the main chat, and I can't chat to anyone except the person I am playing with. Is there a way around this that I haven't figured out, or will this be fixed in an update? It's the one disadvantage to playing on my phone, but the iPhone app is so much better that I prefer it to playing on my MacBook.

Thanks!

Playing backgammon
Posted by webmaster (moderator) 4 Jan 2018 3:03pm

Although Java is an older platform , it dies have an undo - although it is NOT a button in Java backgammon - you just lift a checker you want to move back and move it back.
To significantly improve the speed on desktop, please use the latest version of our recommended web browser - Google Chrome. If you have futher questions or comments on this issue, please use Contact Us

td chat
Posted by HeidiVodka (VIP) 1 Feb 2018 5:50am

not on macbook myself but i'm here with a chat related android app problem. i'll post a new thread.
dont know if the apps are similar, but if i click on the chat screen, it opens a new window with all of the players in the room on the left. i can then select the td's name or anyone or everyone and type the message. the send button then says eg: "send dede" instead of just "send".

TD Chat
Posted by remy (VIP) 1 Feb 2018 1:01pm

Thanks for replying! When I click on the chat screen when I am in the main tourney room, it DOES open up another screen, but there is no little drop down for me to choose who to talk to. So i can only talk to everyone. When I am in a tourney game, I can still see everything dede is saying in my chat, but I cant see what anyone else in main tourney room is saying. And while in the game, I can only talk to my other player, not Dede or anyone else.

Actually ratings, I meant to tell you, when you message me while I am in a game with someone else, I see your mesage but I cant reply to you because I can only talk to the person in my room while I am in the game if I am on my Iphone app. When we were talking earlier I switched to my laptop so that I could still play but also respond to. Annoying that I cant find a way to do it on my phone though!

iPhone app should be as fast as MacBook
Posted by webmaster (moderator) 1 Feb 2018 1:17pm

Sluggish MacBook performance does not happen on our 2 in-house Macbooks ( 4.14 macOS 10.12 Sierra MacBook with 1.2GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core m3 processor)

We are assuming that you see a difference in performance between a MacBook and an iPhone while they are connected to the same WIFI. If that's not the case, try connecting them to the same WIFI or use iPhone as a personal hotspot to provide iPhone's WIFI to your MacBook.

Sluggish performance for a laptop can happen due to many factors such as:
1. insufficient available memory and/or available free space
2. a misbehaving network card that starts losing communications packets and requires multiple re-transmissions, thereby slowing down connectivity
3. other open applications contunuously using laptop's resources such as memory, CPU, network

Posted by HeidiVodka (VIP) 1 Feb 2018 5:29pm

sorry remy, you were showing idle when i started typing. i didnt mean to cause a distraction.

Posted by HeidiVodka (VIP) 1 Feb 2018 5:46pm

i only see what dede is saying "in game" too. if there is any other chat in the tourney room, i dont see it while i am in game on a set table. i have taken a screen shot of my chat window, but there's no tools here to post it
i see all members on left side box and i just select anyone for their name to appear on the send button on the right hand side dialogue box.
if you cannot raise the td, and they have not set the 5 min clock promptly, it may make adjudication difficult if the opponent has lost connection

Posted by remy (VIP) 2 Feb 2018 7:12am

Don’t apologize! I liked chatting with you! I am just explaining that if I don’t respond, it’s brcsuse I can’t. But if I can, I will. I was at my computer that time so it was easy to respond.

If you were playing on a computer, you would be able to see the tourney chat as well (not that it’s anything important really), because it would be open on a separate screen. I haven’t needed to contact the TD in any tourney so... it’s been fine. But I have just been thinking about this chat issue a lot more lately. I’m hoping there will be an update to the iPhone app soon that will include this.

Bookmark and Share    ...and Earn Free Tickets!
Play backgammon tournaments online

At GameColony.com you can play games of skill only -- play for free or play for $prizes!. According to the statutes of most states in the United States, gambling is defined as: "risking something of value upon the outcome of a contest of chance". (Also see No Gambling!).   The skill (as opposed to chance) is predominant in games of skill. Playing games of skill for $prizes, therefore, has nothing to do with gambling as it is not a contest of chance -- the more skillful player will win far more often. The chance element of a 'gamble' is either insignificant or missing. When players compete in tournaments or games of skill for $prizes -- it is "competitive entertainment" rather then "gambling". The more skilled winner will always win more matches, tournaments and $prizes.
Affiliate Program

Copyright © 2024

Site map